[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Jerry Ponko" <jponko@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 23:05:59 -0600 (CST)

>Marcus wrote:
>
>> >better, if you "delete" a link associated with a binary, it
>> >invokes the uninstaller rather than just deleting the file.
>
>> No, this would not be that good, since it not usual that deleting
>> a link has any effect on the original. A special case for links to
>> apps would break consistency of the interface.
>
>Well, one has to think about it from the user experience,
>those guys that Anton du Toit spoke about - grandma stuff! ;)
>If they see an icon, do you think they know what's behind it.
>So if they delete it, they think the application is gone.
>Little do they know that it's a link to the app, which also
>has many more files associated with it.
>
>So... maybe a message like this will do: "You are about to
>delete a link to an application, which contains other files
>too. Do you want to delete the link or uninstall the
>application=3F
>
>[ Delete ]   [ Uninstall ]   [ Cancel ]
>

>Helmar

I think we all know someone who has a million icons on their desktop
because that's where they save everything so it's "easy" to find. They
aren't necessarily grandmas but more likely pack-rats. Unfortunately,
there is only one thing that can help them - a hard drive failure - so
they can start anew.

Jerry