[openbeos] Re: on SoftwareValet for OBOS

  • From: "Jerry Ponko" <jponko@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:36:16 -0600 (CST)

Michael Phipps wrote:
>Here is where we part opinions. BeOS is somewhat complex. Not
unnecessarily so.
>Installing drivers, for example. You unzip them to a directory. Inside
the directory is a
>link directory. You have to d&d the driver folders into the directory.
Or at least double click
>on a script that moves them for you. Another similar example is
installing shared libraries.
>Final example - when we release new kits. We would need to (minimally)
shut the old one down,
>hopefully zip it and move it out of the way, put the new one in place
and start it. Minimally, that
>requires a little scripting.
>
>This is not to say that there is no space between zip and SV. A *
simple* package format, that
>can place files, and a little bit more would be very nice.

Right-on bro!
I actually use a SV package to install my drivers, etc. and it works
well. One nice feature is that it you can have both x86 and PPC files
and it installs the correct ones depending on the platform.  Also you
can set the option to overwrite the files if newer version, newer file
date, or ask the user. Just a few clicks and viola the apps installed.

>When it comes to this sort of thing, the question that I always ask
myself is, "Could your mom do it=3F".

I agree.

Jerry