[haiku] Re: non-updated icons

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 17:53:53 +0100 CET

"Ritrup Biswas" <ritrup@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> but i don't have Haiku running in my computer.

That is pretty much a prerequisite.

Icon-O-Matic runs only on Haiku.
(possibly on BeOS too)

> Is it compulsory to use Icon-O-Matic or could
> other icon makers can be used
> (dose haiku uses a .png or .ico format for its
> icons).

Haiku uses its own highly compact icon vector format
called HVIF. Bitmap-formats such as PNG or ICO are
not supported at all. (Granted, good old BeOS bitmap
icons at 16x16 and 32x32 are still supported, but
those are going away. They look like crap at 64x64.)

Icon-O-Matic is the only tool available, AFAIK,
to create icons in the HVIF format.

This tool (Icon-O-Matic) can optionally import
SVG files - if you prefer to work with an editor
that exports SVG - but you (or someone else) then
have to convert and optimize the files as HVIF
using Icon-O-Matic.

> i still don't know what all icon still need to be
> finished, if you could help with that.

That's why you should try to run Haiku, to find
out for yourself. It will be clear to you, visually,
at least at 64x64 size which icons are done and
which remain, as well as the general style.

(Hint: BePDF is not done. It's got a crummy old
bitmap icon - a mashup that I am to blame for.)

If you can't get Haiku installed for real, try
running it in a virtual machine (on Windows,
Linux or MacOS X).

/Jonas.