[openbeos] Re: news forum

  • From: "Bruno van Dooren" <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 07:34:42 +0200

:-)

i like newsgroup style better actually.
browsing through a web forum can be pretty annoying sinc you have to click and load different pages. it can be slow, and sometimes it is difficult to get an overview.

the mailing list is better, but sometimes tends to clutter my inbox. not to mention that our email address is easily harvested by spammers.

newsgroups seems to incorporate the best of both worlds. of course nothing is perfect, so they will have their annoiances too probably.

kind regards,
   Bruno

From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [openbeos] Re: news forum
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:41:16 -0400

Several months back, we had a public forum for newsletter comments.
It was removed due to nearly complete disuse. :-/
We have been having a similar discussion about the new site - which is better, forums or mailing lists.
Before you respond, it is a pretty much 50/50 split. Some people like the polling model (forums), some people (me, for one) prefer the interrupt model (mailing lists). What I have asked Kurtis about is this - if we have our own mailserver, why can't we build a fairly simple gateway? If a registered user posts in a forum, the post is sent out to the mailing list. If a mail goes out on the mailing list, it is automatically posted to the forum. Then everyone is happy. We are still investigating this approach.

But these are the sort of things that we are looking at for the new website - we do hear you (and read the suggestion box). We just can't finish everything at once. ;-)