[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 07:08:47 -0700

Simon Taylor wrote:
From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2007/05/22 Tue AM 09:23:02 GMT
To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Simon Taylor wrote:
From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Japanese community, for example, are creating a Live CD with a few apps to make the thing more enticing (like a Japanese text editor), the Japanese input method enabled by default, a nicer Japanese font than the default, and a few patches here and there that they need to address some language related issues.
Why are the font and patches not being done on the trunk of Haiku? That is one
of the major drivers for reducing the number of distros - so everyone can
benefit from work being done.
I asked the question, and apparently it is not that simple.

For example, one of the patches is needed for unzip to be able to handle certain double-byte characters properly; the patch breaks single-byte latin characters support though, so it is not likely to be acceptable in a non-Japanese environment.

I'm surprised that's acceptable even in a Japanese environment - so if a user
ever wishes to unzip a normal zip file (such as, say, the official Haiku
downloads) it would fail.

Why be surprised? What's surprising about the Japanese making sure that they can use a system in their own language? They are targeting Japanese individuals after all, so there is nothing surprising if they make the OS work properly in their own language. Plus, nobody said that unzipping a normal zip file would fail.

That's exactly the kind of weird behaviour that we don't want the Haiku name to
be associated with.

You don't even know the specific details of the changes, so you may be just jumping on the gun with such a statement.

On the more general topic of localised distributions - I believe R1 is likely
to be English only? So that leaves two options:
1) Produce a 3rd party R1 distribution that follows the guidelines - new name and logo.
If the localisation is the biggest part then I suppose a Japanese name would be more
appropriate anyway. This distro could use the "Haiku Compatible" badge. Pre R1,
demos of this distro, branded as such, can be made.
2) Produce demo CDs that more accurately reflect how R1 will be - ie in English.

As the goal seems to be to attract developers for Haiku, I have to say option 2
makes more sense. It is a sad fact that in order to be a viable contributor to
the project developers will need to be comfortable working in an environment
where all the discussion takes place in English.

That's certainly an opinion, but you are just giving people who would rather contribute to an official Haiku in their own language another more reason for not doing so. It's as if Haiku wanted more third party distros rather than less.

Cheers,

Koki