[openbeos] Re: news: development mailing list, distro guidelines

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 02:23:02 -0700

Simon Taylor wrote:
From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Japanese community, for example, are creating a Live CD with a few apps to make the thing more enticing (like a Japanese text editor), the Japanese input method enabled by default, a nicer Japanese font than the default, and a few patches here and there that they need to address some language related issues.

Why are the font and patches not being done on the trunk of Haiku? That is one
of the major drivers for reducing the number of distros - so everyone can
benefit from work being done.

I asked the question, and apparently it is not that simple.

For example, one of the patches is needed for unzip to be able to handle certain double-byte characters properly; the patch breaks single-byte latin characters support though, so it is not likely to be acceptable in a non-Japanese environment.

The other involves building a modified libtextencoding.so based on a patched libiconv. I don't know (neither do I understand) the details, but apparently it would not be a straightforward patch that can be applied to the existing code in the Haiku repo.

With regards to the font set, the only impediment that I could see is size: the font set files take about 8MB total.

Cheers,

Koki