[openbeos] Re: newos libc

  • From: "Peter Willis" <p.willis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:52:22 -0800

>> I think I am a little bit of a BeOS "pure-ist" and want OpenBeOS to
>> be
>> as similar as possible, and using libroot.so would help this right?
>
>Agreed. I've asked this question 3 or 4 times, and been ignored every
>time.
>-Nathan

After a breif discussion with Travis G. and Marcus O. (I think)
on IRC a few days ago, it seemed a lot easier and faster to move
ahead and provide the libc functionality at the newos kernel level
for POSIX. This could then be adequately wrapped for OBOS.

There doesn't seem to be much agreement about how POSIX
should be pulled together.
    People started by demanding that I find a way to implement 'fork' .
I thought that we wanted the library *fixed*.  I commenced writing
a fixed library.
    I was then waiting for kernel thread functions to start pthreads
stuff (fork). I went to the source, Travis on IRC, and got a few answers
from people there.
It was suggested there that I work a bit on libc to speed things
along.
    I am now getting flak for working on that............(strange)

Peter