[openbeos] Re: newos libc

  • From: "Nathan Whitehorn" <nathan.whitehorn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 18:04:08 EST (-0500)

> Not true. Being 'ignored' is assuming someone has the answers, and
> simply decides not to answer. It's very possible that no one really
> knows, and therefore doesn't have an opinion as to how to do it, and
> therefore doesn't answer. I like that better than a whole ton of
> emails
> saying 'no idea'.

This is true. But this was not a technical question. It was simply:
Shouldn't we consider using libroot? Silence.

> So, my answer to the question is figure out if libroot.so is going to
> do
> the job, and then implement it. It may be hard, and there may be
> serious
> roadblocks, but the best way to figure it out is to try it. If you
> fail,
> try something new. I betcha you'll learn something from it.
>
> I personally haven't looked at libroot, but I don't see it as a real
> solution because of the sketchy nature of re-releasing a company's
> work
> like that. Libroot was built to be released on beos, not for someone
> else's stuff. Now, beos may not be around to sue, or whatever, but
> that's just not a good practice to get into. Do you think it'd be a
> good
> idea to rewrite a nt kernel and repackage the windows libraries with
> it?
> I think MS wouldn't like that. It's pretty much the same thing.

If Windows libraries were released under the GPL, like libroot is, I
seriously doubt MS would complain. (And, yes, libroot is under the GPL,
not some Be license)

> Now, if you look at the part of libroot that's open sourced, I think
> you'll just find glibc. The rest of it is largely stuff specific to
> beos
> (like syscalls and such). Those aint gonna fly on newos. So, my
> strategy
> on this would be one of two things:

This is true. *But* replace the stubs, and it should compile, complete
with whatever BeOS specific mods they made.

> Anyway, hope that answers your questions. But, I'm not pleased with
> the
> tone of the last email. In general there are problems that have to be
> solved, asking the mailing list is not the answer. If you choose to
> tackle a part of openbeos, you have the responsibility of figuring
> out
> how to do it. Asking the list may help, but because people don't
> answer
> you doesn't mean that it's hopeless or whatever you may think. Many
> of
> us are simply hard at work on our little parts of the system.

If I have offended you, I apologize. But statements should be responded
too. Questions? If you don't know, don't answer. But suggestions should
always be responded to on a list like this.
-Nathan

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Walk softly and carry a megawatt laser.