[openbeos] Re: newos libc

  • From: "Travis Geiselbrecht" <geist@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 15:01:20 -0800

> >> I think I am a little bit of a BeOS "pure-ist" and want OpenBeOS to
> >> be
> >> as similar as possible, and using libroot.so would help this right?
> >
> >Agreed. I've asked this question 3 or 4 times, and been ignored every
> >time.
> >-Nathan
> >
> After a breif discussion with Travis G. and Marcus O. (I think)
> on IRC a few days ago, it seemed a lot easier and faster to move
> ahead and provide the libc functionality at the newos kernel level
> for POSIX. This could then be adequately wrapped for OBOS.
>
> There doesn't seem to be much agreement about how POSIX
> should be pulled together.
>     People started by demanding that I find a way to
> implement 'fork' .
> I thought that we wanted the library *fixed*.  I commenced writing
> a fixed library.
>     I was then waiting for kernel thread functions to start pthreads
> stuff (fork). I went to the source, Travis on IRC, and got a
> few answers
> from people there.
> It was suggested there that I work a bit on libc to speed things
> along.
>     I am now getting flak for working on that............(strange)

POSIX != libc

Libc is the C standard library. Stuff like fopen() and fclose() and the
string functions, etc. They can be built on top of posix, or something
else appropriate. There is a lot of work to be done in the kernel and
user space to implement posix, but libc is also needed. I'd say
implement that over the top of the native newos api. We can then build a
posix layer as well, and push some of it into the kernel (signals,
fork(), etc).

Travis