[openbeos] Re: need help, file copying problems! (fwd)

  • From: "Kevin Field" <kev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:22:47 -0400 EDT

Not really...it always stopped at less than half done, but never the
exact same file or even directory.  Sometimes it got all the way to my
e-mail and choked, others it wouldn't get past my first directory with
some audio files in it.

In chunks is exactly how I got essential parts backed up before using
recover, which worked very well.  Somehow I still get a General OS
error trying to reformat the backup IDE, but just reinitting it seems
to work well enough, as I've copied files to and from it and the other
IDE and the SCSI, and SmartCopy runs now too.  (It's supposed to halt
on even the slightest of errors, but it didn't, so I'm hoping I'm in
the clear now.)  chkbfs and chkindex work on all three now too,
although chkindex says "Could not find index directory" on all three
for some reason, yet queries work fine.

Thanks,

Kev

> Does the error happen at close the to the same number of files (or
> bytes of data) everytime?  If so, you may want to try backing up your
> data in 4 or 5 parts, and let the system rest for a bit in between.
> Example, I think I remember you saying that it fails around 5000
> files,
> try making several backups of around 3000-4000 files each with a 3-5
> min cooldown in between.  I experienced similar problems when copying
> more than around 64MB from CDROM->IDE drive, and it worked if I
> copied
> in small chunks and gave it a chance to rest in between.  Why letting
> computer rest helps anything is beyond me, but all I know is it
> worked
> for me :)
>
> -Ben

Kevin Field
Disciple-in-Training
Kingdom Among Us
Quote of the day:

The United States also has its native Fascists who say that they are
"100 percent American"...
                -- U. S. Army (1945)