[openbeos] Re: name vote & domain snatchers

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 19:36:03 CEST (+0200)

Daniel wrote:
> 3 (.com, .org, .net) gives you 75 domains to register. That's a few
> dollars.

Well, I don't think we would need all of them (at least I would
consider .com and .net optional - that could be done for the winner
only, if at all).

> This makes me wonder if the name selection should actually be private
> and not public afterall. We could privately select a winner, register
> the domain(s) and *then* publicly announce the winner. That would
> certainly bum alot of people -- including me, because I would prefer
> keep it open. But then again, I would hate the see the name selection
> messed up because the public nature of the process could allow domain
> snatchers to mess up our plans.

We can have the first vote public, but we would not show the results of
the poll. Then we could have a "closed" poll for the remaining set
(team leads, whatever). We could acquire the names for the three best
choices, and present them as the final completely public vote - that
would exclude many people in this intermediate vote, but it would be
safe.
OTOH I wouldn't want to be excluded from such a vote ;-)

> Or am I just being paranoid?

Maybe - one cannot know before :-))

Adios...
   Axel.