[openbeos] Re: mp4 reader now alpha

  • From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 06:44:07 -0400

David McPaul wrote:

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 03:17:28 -0700 Nathan Sylvain <optikwhite@xxxxxxxxx>
said

Good to hear that the mp4 reader is coming along. As far as audio is
concerned, have you looked into faad2 available at
http://www.audiocoding.com. If I am not mistaken, 3ivx and Winamp use
it for decoding aac audio on Windows and I believe Winamp also uses it
to encode aac audio into mp4 files. There is also an aac
implementation in the Helix(Real) source tree but I am uncertain if
their license is compatible witht he one used but Haiku but it might
be possible to make a binary only dist. of the decoder.

You can find any relevant information regarding Helix at
https://helixcommunity.org/

Ok I might have a look at the audiocoding one. I looked at it once before and I thought it needed licencing.

Cheers
David

--
Real Programs don't use shared text.  Otherwise, how can they use
functions for scratch space after they are finished calling them?

This is from the top of the faad2 readme.... Looks like it's GPLed. Not sure how that impacts the media kit:

[ adamk@memory - ~/saved/source/faad2 ]: more README

Freeware Advanced Audio (AAC) Decoder including SBR decoding
http://www.audiocoding.com/

FAAD2 is a HE, LC, MAIN and LTP profile, MPEG2 and MPEG-4 AAC decoder.
FAAD2 includes code for SBR (HE AAC) decoding.
FAAD2 is licensed under the GPL.

__________ COPYRIGHTS

For FAAD2 the following license applies:

** FAAD2 - Freeware Advanced Audio (AAC) Decoder including SBR decoding
** Copyright (C) 2003 M. Bakker (mbakker(at)nero.com), Ahead Software AG
** ** This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
** it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
** the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
** (at your option) any later version.
**
** This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
** but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
** MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
** GNU General Public License for more details.
**
** You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
** along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
** Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA.
**
** Commercial non-GPL licensing of this software is also possible.
** For more info contact Ahead Software through Mpeg4AAClicense@xxxxxxxxx

Please note that the use of this software may require the payment of patent royalties. You need to consider this issue before you start building derivative works. We are not warranting or indemnifying you in any way for patent royalities! YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS!