[openbeos] Re: mp4 reader now alpha

  • From: Danny Robson <danny@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 23:52:32 +1000

mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

In this case, I think that it is demonstrable that an outside party
(David) can not force Haiku to change their license by creating an
add-on. Not that I think that he is trying to, mind you. Likewise, you
can not force Windows to be GPL by creating a GPL driver, even though
the driver calls the kernel and the kernel calls the driver. I think
that the GNU folks are mistaken in their belief on this one.

True, you cannot force a change of licence, but if the FAQ is correct it still remains a breach of licence and hence illegal/etc. If I'm reading the licence correctly, section 2b requires that the whole package be distributed under the GPL or else you simply cant use it.. At least that's my interpretation.

Oh, only just realised my previous message could be interpreted as forcing a change. I simply meant that it would require a licence change to be done above board.

- Danny