[openbeos] Re: mkfs.beos tool

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 17:38:28 +0200

On 2007-04-05 at 17:18:43 [+0200], Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 4/5/07, Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 2007-04-05 at 09:20:08 [+0200], Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > is there any news about a mkfs.beos tool for linux?
> >
> > Nope.
>

> That's pity. Do you know of anyone working on it?

No idea. I actually don't even know who wrote the original BeFS Linux
implementation.

> The easiest way to install Haiku onto a partition under Linux is to dd an
> > image file to the partition and thereafter invoke makebootable to make it
> > bootable. makebootable should be generated as
> >

> > generated/objects/linux/x86/release/tools/makebootable/platform/bios_ia32/
> > ma
> > kebootable
> >
> > If it hasn't been built yet, run "jam -q '<build>makebootable'".
>
> Stupid question.. does the partition have to be of the same size of the
> haiku.image? Can
> it be bigger?

Not stupid at all. :-) The partition can be greater, but the file system on
it will still have the size of the image. E.g. if you dd a 100 MB image on a
10 GB partition and mount the partition it will appear as 100 MB volume only.

CU, Ingo