[openbeos] Re: mkfs.beos tool

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:57:59 +0200

On 2007-04-05 at 09:20:08 [+0200], Salvatore Benedetto <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> is there any news about a mkfs.beos tool for linux?

Nope.

> It would make installation easier from linux, without the need
> of installing any BeOS version before.

I'm not quite sure how initializing a BFS partition would help with
installing Haiku. After all you still can't write to the volume. Or has the
Linux BeFS got write support in the meantime?

The easiest way to install Haiku onto a partition under Linux is to dd an
image file to the partition and thereafter invoke makebootable to make it
bootable. makebootable should be generated as

generated/objects/linux/x86/release/tools/makebootable/platform/bios_ia32/ma
kebootable

If it hasn't been built yet, run "jam -q '<build>makebootable'".

It is also possible to let the build process install Haiku directly onto
the partition. You'd have to set HAIKU_IMAGE_NAME and HAIKU_IMAGE_DIR to
refer to the partition device.

I suppose I don't have to add that playing with the wrong partition can
have *very* undesired effects.

CU, Ingo