[openbeos] linuxformat mag: 30 days with Haiku

  • From: "Richie Nyhus" <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 04:25:41 +1400

The linux format magazine (http://www.linuxformat.co.uk) has reviewed haiku.

"30 days with Haiku - An open source BeOS clone looking to take on the
desktop: will it give Linux some friendly competition? We find out.
(Graham Morrison)"

Read it here:
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/beos-reborn-30-days-with-haiku-465275

A few posts about it on the ubuntu forums here:

--------

Some extracts

"Haiku is nowhere near being considered a finished product, but it's
now stable enough for everyday use."

"I first try the Haiku online documentation, but the freefall state of
development that Haiku is in means there's no documentation for
prospective users, only documentation to help developers."

"Most users seem to be using Haiku as a genuine desktop replacement,
doing the same things we normally do on our Linux desktop. "

"I can't criticise Haiku. It's in a rapid state of development and no
one is claiming it's anywhere near a productivity level. But it's very
close, and you can't help feeling that a little user-oriented
documentation and packaging could go a long way."

"Similar to Apple's OS X, applications don't quit when you click on
the top-left 'close' icon, for example. Instead, they tuck themselves
away in the small toolbar, and can be brought back to life at any
moment. To quit an application, you must click on the toolbar icon and
select Close from the pop-up menu."

"The advantage to all this minimalism is speed. Windows are quick to
open and move. Most applications and tools load immediately (an
exception is Firefox), and the whole system can reboot in under 10
seconds. Real hardware will be even faster. This is the computer
desktop we should always have had."