[haiku] Re: licensing concerns

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:16:38 -0700

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 3:28 PM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> software into GPL. It works the other way around: If your software isn't GPL
> you are not allowed to link
> against the GPL library (i.e. use they copyright holders work). If you do so
> anyway, the copyright
> holder can sue your ass for using their work without having been allowed to
> do so. Sounds very simple
> and logic to me.

This is my understanding as well.

If you do something that violates a license, you have two choices at
that point: 1) comply with the license or 2) stop using the software
in question.

Anti-GPL discussions seem to generate a lot of fuss over nothing.
AFAIK, not a single author of GPL/LGPL-licensed code has ever
approached the Haiku project to indicate that anything has been done
wrong. If they do, then I'm sure there can be a compromise that
satisfies everyone. Haiku is, after all, a FOSS project, releasing all
code under a GPL-compatible license as well.

- Urias