[haiku] Re: licensing concerns

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 00:28:20 +0200

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:01:33 -0400
> Von: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>

*sigh*

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Nicholas
> Blachford<nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I just don't think this can happen. I'd love to see it held up in a
> court of law where simply linking against a library causes code to be
> licensed in another way. Linking to a library does not involve source
> code in any way, so I just don't see how copyright law applies (the
> GPL is enforced through copyright law.) It just defies all logic and
> copyright law.

It definitely doesn't defy my logic. AFAIU all licenses are enforced through
copyright. The copyright holder has the intrinsic right to allow use of their
work under any license they like. If you don't agree with the license terms,
you cannot use the work. Linking against a GPL library does not magically turn
your software into GPL. It works the other way around: If your software isn't
GPL you are not allowed to link against the GPL library (i.e. use they
copyright holders work). If you do so anyway, the copyright holder can sue your
ass for using their work without having been allowed to do so. Sounds very
simple and logic to me.

Anyway glibc is LGPL, so this all doesn't apply anyway.

CU, Ingo