[haiku] licensing concerns

  • From: Nicholas Blachford <nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:11:01 +0100

Hi,

There's a thread about licensing in the forums here about licensing concerns with new versions of gcc:

http://www.haiku-os.org/community/forum/mit_vs_gcc43_license_crash

It's written off as FUD but it's not, this is a very real concern for companies. Companies can live with gpl v2 but gpl v3 is avoided like the plague. That's not that difficult, but it sees something has changed in gcc that's made things a whole lot more complex.

I don't know the exact details but newer versions of gcc have changed to gpl v3, this in itself is not a problem but as I understand it the c lib may also have changed license. If so, as soon as you link to it your app becomes gpl v3.

As I said, I don't know the exact details, but you might want to check exactly what gets linked against what when you do a build, and exactly what licenses are in use.

Could this end up with a fort in gcc? I think this is a distinct possibility, in fact it may have already have happened for the c lib:

http://lwn.net/Articles/340555/

--

Nicholas Blachford
nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx