[openbeos] libstdc++.r4.so

  • From: Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 16:31:59 +0200

Hello there,

inspired by the thread-safety problems I encountered with R5's
libstdc++.r4.so and a discussion on openbeosstorage, I have tried to build
a stdc++-lib which could be used as a drop-in replacement for the one used
in R5.

I try to be brief, but it isn't easy... >;o)

The current state of things is that I have built two versions of libstdc++
(one based on gnupro000224 and the other one on gcc-2.95.3) that seem to be
compatible enough with the R5-one to let me use Pe and Beam on R5. So far,
so good.

One general concept of libstdc++ is that it includes the c++-parts of libio
and uses the c-parts of libio already contained in libroot. Thus, libio
gets "split" across these two libs.
However, when trying to incorporate libstdc++ into the haiku-tree, I've
noticed that there's a version-mismatch between the libio expected from
libstdc++ and the one provided by haiku's libroot.

Ideally, we'd use the c++-parts of the very libio whose c-parts already
live in src/kernel/libroot/posix/glibc/libio. Axel, which glibc version is
that?

After doing some research on the net, I am still confused about the exact
distributions of libio. There seems to be some correlation between gcc- and
glibc-versions, but how that actually works escapes me. Anyone in the know?

cheers,
        Oliver