[openbeos] Re: libscreensaver.so Proof of Concept

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 22:34:03 -0400

>Justin Pies commenting on manuel@be:
>>> Not wanting to sound negative but... a trivial example only shows
>that
>>> whatever is trivial can be done trivially.
>>
>>Comments such as this are unnecessarily negative.  We all know that
>what
>>we're doing is a daunting task, to stymie steps in the right direction
>>with this kind of talk is absolutely counterproductive.
>>
>>Keep it to yourself.
>>
>>-Justin
>
>Am I the only one somehow.. shocked to see the.. good folks
>in the OpenBeOS team totally immune to hardcore discussion
>even if the arguments come directly from Be, Inc ?
>Ok ok, I can't pretend in the least knowing who was kept
>and who was laid off so I'll say "former Be Inc".

Cedric - I think that you missed something here.
The guy who posed this was
"Manuel Jesus Petit de Gabriel" <freston@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Was he a Be engineer? I don't ever remember hearing anything about him.
In any case, I am with Justin on this one - I really don't see anything
constructive or positive
about the comment. There were lots of comments that said "oh - you missed this
piece".
Cool. great. Helpful.

I want to step up and defend what he did, just a bit.
What he posted was a piece of the screensaver work.
Really, there are several parts:

server (screenblanker)
kit (libscreensaver.so)
preferences
input_server filter

What was posted was basically a tutorial on how to get from a .so to (empty,
stubbed) code.
What remains (generally, for every kit) is to write the server piece, to
actually do the work, then
fill in the stubbed code to invoke the server with messages. The server should
read the preferences
that the preferences app makes (if there are any). Input filters in this case
probably should send a
bmessage to the server saying - hey - something happened. Don't blank. It
should probably not do so
more than once every 2 or 3 seconds though to keep overhead down. If people
really want a 2 second
delay on their screen saver, tough. :-)

In any case, I think that this tutorial was a good start.

Phyte - would you mind grabbing this and the server stuff that I wrote from the
archives and turning them into
a "so, you want to be a OBOS engineer?" document? Please? Pretty please?

Also - I had not considered preferences. Is there anyone out there who has a
desire to rebuild any/all of the
preferences apps? They are a good piece for beginners. Someone, maybe, who
wants to contribute but
is afraid of kernels? :-)

Cedric - please mail me off-list about this (mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)