[haiku] Re: lib sonames/versions causing apps/games to no longer work...

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 09:29:04 +0200

On 30.05.2013 07:27, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
If I were to port something to Haiku right now (which I may do soon
actually), I would either try my best to use supported Haiku APIs, or
I would package any dependencies with the application (which is done
by simply putting libraries in a lib directory in the same directory
as the application.) In general though the things I would port would
be command-line utilities which likely have few if any dependencies.

That would defeat the purpose of shared libraries and package management. The topic at hand is that a lot of games use libpng or libjpeg. That is the perfect example of why shared libraries make sense and security issues are frequently found in these libraries. It makes no sense to have each game include their own copy which is then not updated when issues are found.

I would assume that the reported breakage is unintended and a bug. I wouldn't attribute it to crappy software. The issue should be investigated and a simple oversight and a fix will likely present themselves.

But as I said before a Haiku package management system will help, as
long as the developers of ported applications set up proper
dependencies and don't just assume that if Haiku has library "foo 1.4"
right now that it will have it forever.

Indeed, that is the preferred way. The haiku_porter tool will make that simple, though. By building software in a clean-room environment (chroot), it will automatically make sure that packages declare their dependencies correctly. So the problem shifts from the error-prone "developers must make sure their packages declare dependencies correctly" to the much simpler "developers must use haiku-porter to create their packages". Which they probably have to do anyway.

Best regards,
-Stephan