[openbeos] Re: info please

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 18:37:51 -0700

Hi Karl,

Karl vom Dorff wrote:
One more thing...

I've read that Koki was hired to head marketing at Haiku.

If this is the case, and funds from the Haikubounties were used for this, I find it pathetic that Haiku can hire someone with the money before thanking the people who donated or letting them know what was done with the funds.

If that's not the case, then fine. It's this type of information that Haiku needs to disclose and make public however.

Since this touches me personally, I will respond.

If Haiku would have hired me (or anybody else, for that matter), it would have been made public (as it happened when Axel was temporarily hired in the past). I invite you to read the article that includes the announcement of the new marcom team:

http://haiku-os.org/learn.php?mode=nsl#213

As you can read in the last paragraph of this article, a marcom team was formed, and I am the team lead. That's all there is to it. So, to answer your question without any room for misinterpretation, I do this as a volunteer, and receive no monetary compensation from Haiku Inc.

Information can be distorted as it goes from mouth to mouth. You can't help that. But if you that want to be well informed (rather than misinformed), it is always good to go to the source of the information, which would have been www.haiku-os.org in this case.

Having said that, I would appreciate if you could point me to where you read that I was hired, so that can request a rectification of the information if possible/applicable.

I take the opportunity to inform you that we have just published a public recognition for assisting Haiku through HaikuBounties.org, where we also express our gratitude to the generous Haiku fans that actually made the dontations. Please see:

http://haiku-os.org/learn.php?mode=news_view&id=415

I realize that this may be too late, and perhaps even not enough to appease your current irritation. But I still hope that you will show some graciousness, and could take this as a sign of reconciliation. After all, while we are dedicated to the Haiku cause, we are still volunteers with a life, family and work/school to deal with, cannot always do things as fast as we would all want, and are likely to drop the ball from time to time.

Regards,

Koki