[openbeos] hello, world

  • From: "Allen Brunson" <brunsona@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:22:37 -0600

Hello, is this thing on?  I just now subbed to this list.

For those who don't know me, a little history.  I've been coding for BeOS
since late 1998.  I bought version 4.0 from BeDepot but didn't get started
in earnest until BeOS 4.5 arrived with SCSI support.

My biggest claim to fame is an NNTP newsreader called Pineapple News.  I got
myself hired at Be on the strength of my newsreader and lasted there for
seven months.  I got laid off in "the final purge" when Palm forced Be to
slim down to 50 employees before the acquisition.  I'm not particularly
bitter about that: I spent all my time working on no-fun eVilla stuff, then
when that wound down, no-fun internal messaging and binder stuff.  I like to
work on apps, not internal plumbing, but at the time Be had no app work for
me to do.  And I certainly wouldn't put myself in the top 50 Be employees at
that time so I think they did the right thing laying me off.

Right now I'm working on a liblayout-type thing called Sabal.  It's snowing
here in scenic Nashville, Tennessee today so I guess I won't be leaving the
house after all like I planned and I'll probably release the first public
version later on today.  If anybody likes it I'll keep documenting and
working on it; if not I'll go back to working on the next version of my
newsreader.

Since the demise of Be I've been in the process of boot-strapping myself
into MacOSX.  I'm trying to make my newsreader into a BeOS/MacOSX
cross-platform app and also expand it into a mail client, Pineapple Mail.

And that's about all there is to know.