[openbeos] Re: hardware specs -- who's naughty and who's nice?

  • From: Jasse Jansson <jasse@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 11:14:14 +0100

On söndag, januari 6, 2002, at 06:49 , dsteward wrote:

I also have dox for Voodoo 3 chips somewhere but unfortunatly
not dox for voodoo 4 and 5.

These would be for 2D only from the old 3dfx open-source linux site. In their dying days, 3dfx made a half-hearted effort to allow developers to write Linux drivers, but conveniently left out all 3D specs. I'm fairly sure the specs for Voodoos using 3D have never been officially released - nor will they ever be.

I'll do a better check what's in those docs.

Indeed, even though Be Inc. received some info (enough to do HW OGL on
the V3/V4/V5), they apparently didn't receive the docs to activate the
2nd VSA-100 chip on the V5's.

Sounds strange, but it make sense considering what world we live in.

Its good to know about the Matrox info, but does that cover all the 3D
features of their cards, including Environmental Bump Mapping etc ?

I think so, but I haven't read all of them yet ;-) But I'll do ;-)

...Jasse...