[haiku] Re: [haiku-web] New website theme: request for testing/feedback/icons

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:35:06 -0700

Hi Ryan,

Ryan Leavengood wrote:
2) Added icon-based navigation links (top right) for login and create new
account when the user is logged out, and logout, user profile and add
content when the user is logged in. There are also common links that appear
on every page that point to the website contact form and the donate page.
Icons have an 80% opacity by default that becomes 100% on mouse hover.

I like this whole block, and I especially like the piggy bank icon,
very cute. I've never been a big fan of the lock icon for login and
logout. My girlfriend suggested maybe a door with a big keyhole (which
I guess wouldn't look too different than the lock, so I don't know.)

I am not attached to the lock icons and would not mind using "door" icons for login/logout. But somebody would have to make them, and they would have to look good and fit into the theme. :)

# REQUEST FOR ICONS

I would like to have icons for:

1) "Read more" link: our front page displays teasers with a "Read more"
link; the icon currently used for this link (both on the live and test
websites) do not match the rest of the icon set. TBH, I am not sure what
would work best here, but I am hoping that our Haiku icon designers can come
up with a good replacement.

This would probably need to be a 16px icon right, which limits things
a bit (not much detail at that level.) An obvious choice would be a
plus sign in the same style as the download arrow, but in blue (though
again the detail with the gradient and everything may not show up.) I
can experiment a bit.

Yes, these are 16px icons. If you can come up with something, send it over and we can try adding it to see how it looks.

2) "Blog-O-Sphere" block icon (second block to the left of the front page):
I am currently using the StyledEdit icon. Can anyone come up with something
more creative?

The StyledEdit one is a decent choice. Some obvious ideas would
involve a sphere or a globe. Maybe a graffiti on a wall (we are
leaving our "mark"), or a nicely stylized old school typewriter icon.
Since it will be 48x48 it can be more detailed.

A Haiku icon would be fine, as it could then be exported to PNG in various resolutions. The current icon is not bad, but I was thinking that something with a globe/people theme would be more appropriate.

(I have been meaning to make an enhancement request for WB to add 48x48px resolution when exporting a PNG set...)

# REQUEST FOR TESTING

Feel free to play around the test site, and let me know if you experience
any rendering problems.

In Epiphany 2.22.2 which uses Gecko 1.9 (on Ubuntu Hardy), the Search
button is on the next line below the edit box:

http://ryanleavengood.com/haiku/render_problem.png

Looking into it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jorge/aka Koki