[haiku] Re: [haiku-web] New website theme: request for testing/feedback/icons

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku ML <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:43:36 -0400

This was cross-posted, but I'm just going to respond on the Haiku mailing list:

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Jorge G. Mare<koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 1) Followed Niels advise (from a while back), and decided to move the side
> column to the left. Works better when using it for navigational menus (which
> we will do quite a bit). Check out this page to see what the new left-side
> navigation menu looks like:
>
> http://test.haikuzone.net/about-haiku

I think that is fine. I've gotten used to the current navigation on
the right, but the left probably makes more sense (at least for we
whose native languages read from left to right ;)

> 2) Added icon-based navigation links (top right) for login and create new
> account when the user is logged out, and logout, user profile and add
> content when the user is logged in. There are also common links that appear
> on every page that point to the website contact form and the donate page.
> Icons have an 80% opacity by default that becomes 100% on mouse hover.

I like this whole block, and I especially like the piggy bank icon,
very cute. I've never been a big fan of the lock icon for login and
logout. My girlfriend suggested maybe a door with a big keyhole (which
I guess wouldn't look too different than the lock, so I don't know.)

> I am thinking that we could add one more icon with a pulldown menu that
> links to the other major Haiku websites (Trac; Haiku Files, Haiku Ports,
> etc. and eventually to the HUGs). This could become like a common navigation
> throughout all Haiku-related websites, creating a web of interconnected
> sites that all point back to the project. Thoughts in this are welcome.

I think this is a good idea but would probably need to see it first to be sure.

> 3) Added pulldown menus: hover over the "About-1" menu link to see what it
> looks like.

Looks fine.

> 4) Created a new screenshot tour page here:
>
> http://test.haikuzone.net/about-haiku/screenshot-tour
>
> (PLEASE, DISREGARD THE IMAGES; THEY ARE OLD AND WILL BE CHANGED).
>
> I think I like the way the gallery works, and it is very easy to
> create/update galleries, as each one is basically a node with images
> attached.

I like it! When we make new screenshots we should be sure the quality
is better than these, they look pretty bad (too much JPEG compression
I guess.) Using PNGs (which is the default Haiku screenshot format
anyhow) would be better.

> What I am not sure about is the slideshow shown underneath the
> image; it if turns out to give problems, I may just use plain previous/next
> links navigation. Feedback is welcome.

I think it is useful as it quickly allows one to choose a screenshot,
and each thumbnail has the title associated with it (if there is one)
as a tooltip, which is handy (you gotta love HTML title attributes.)

> # REQUEST FOR ICONS
>
> I would like to have icons for:
>
> 1) "Read more" link: our front page displays teasers with a "Read more"
> link; the icon currently used for this link (both on the live and test
> websites) do not match the rest of the icon set. TBH, I am not sure what
> would work best here, but I am hoping that our Haiku icon designers can come
> up with a good replacement.

This would probably need to be a 16px icon right, which limits things
a bit (not much detail at that level.) An obvious choice would be a
plus sign in the same style as the download arrow, but in blue (though
again the detail with the gradient and everything may not show up.) I
can experiment a bit.

> 2) "Blog-O-Sphere" block icon (second block to the left of the front page):
> I am currently using the StyledEdit icon. Can anyone come up with something
> more creative?

The StyledEdit one is a decent choice. Some obvious ideas would
involve a sphere or a globe. Maybe a graffiti on a wall (we are
leaving our "mark"), or a nicely stylized old school typewriter icon.
Since it will be 48x48 it can be more detailed.

> 3) Calendar icon: will need one for an "Upcoming Events" block.

Well we will need one someday anyhow when Haiku gets at least a basic
calendar program (maybe.) This shouldn't be hard, though there are
options. It could look like a wall calendar with the whole month, or a
desk calendar with each day and tear off sheets, or maybe even
something more creative.

> # REQUEST FOR TESTING
>
> Feel free to play around the test site, and let me know if you experience
> any rendering problems.

In Epiphany 2.22.2 which uses Gecko 1.9 (on Ubuntu Hardy), the Search
button is on the next line below the edit box:

http://ryanleavengood.com/haiku/render_problem.png

In Firefox 3.0.11 (also on Ubuntu) the Search button is in the right
place but not quite even with the search box in the vertical plane.
But that may be impossible to get right with all the options for GUI
themes in Linux (and Firefox.)

Finally let me say I really like this design and I appreciate all the
work you have put into it!

--
Regards,
Ryan