[openbeos] Re: haiku ports

  • From: Steven Hoefel <stevenhoefel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:03:48 +1000

Scott, Thanks for the info.

I suppose my only issue is that gcc wants all the headers in one folder? as
opposed to say a separate ncurses dir, or SDL dir. I am, for example, curing
boredom by attempting to compile nano and openttd. I've now got openttd
compiling, but it's failing when it tries to init an SDL window... to be
debugged tonight. As for nano, I can't remember where i got up to...

I've based my work off the senryu package from haikuware. I don't know if this
is the best idea either... I'm still trying to figure if the goal (for the
posix compatibility) is to just compile everything as thinking it's compiling
on unix? as opposed to forcing it to think it's on BSD? It seems that I get
large issues with the includes nested in the gnupro-3.4.3/i586.../include
folder when compared with /boot/dev/headers/posix... but this is probably to be
expected as i've told openttd to look into both when attempting to compile.

Anyway, i'll just keep breaking things until it works... this is the same
procedure i used when porting openttd to the dreamcast... and it eventually
worked :)

Steven.

> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:24:01 -0700> From: scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> To:
> openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: [openbeos] Re: haiku ports> > I've been
> zipping the binaries up from /boot, not /boot/home. So if> you instead unzip
> them to /boot they will go into the right place> which is /boot/common which
> is new to Haiku. It's a departure from> the old BeOS way of using
> /boot/home/config. This will allow> multiuser in the future. If you want to
> copy the common folder that> was created in home, be careful and do it from
> the command line as a> tracker copy may wipe out there destination common,
> see:> http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1420> As for gcc, I use the default one
> that comes with building Haiku with> the development tools enabled which is
> 2.93.5-haiku-080323> I think the beporter tool isn't actually working yet. I
> think it's> written in python which is only partially working for Haiku right
> now.> Brecht is working on the beporter tool and I think he's close to>
> having it work, but he's been on vacation last couple weeks.> There's also
> the TiltOS project which is mostly just Kaliber, he's> developed the "box"
> format which works sorta like apt-get on> debian/ubuntu. It's at tiltos.com.
> Hopefully both of these projects> will merge at some point. He's ported about
> 100 packages, and we now> have binaries for about 45 or so, with many more
> that we've ported but> weren't making binaries available yet. Many of these
> are the same> between the two projects. Checkout box and chances are you'll
> find> he's gotten most of the common things already ported. I use it on>
> fresh installs to get libraries back in place to port new things.> > If you
> are just using the pre-built haiku images, you can find the> Haiku gcc and
> other stuff here:> http://www.haiku-os.org/development>
> http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/> > What kinds of things are
> you looking to do with Haiku?> > If anyone else is interested in joining,
> check out http://ports.haiku-files.org> > -scottmc> > > On Mon, Aug 18, 2008
> at 2:57 AM, Steven Hoefel <stevenhoefel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> > scott,> > the
> work at ports.haiku-files.org is great, I love the setup.> >> > I'm curious
> as to installing ports... I've just read into beporter, and will> > try that
> now... but I'd previously just been downloading the precompiled> > versions
> and extracting to my home dir...> > this creates the ./common folder with the
> nested files... I've then been> > pushing includes into the
> /boot/develop/headers dir (in subdirs) and the> > libs in
> /boot/develop/libs/x86 ... etc....> > Is this the right way to go about it?>
> > I suppose I should try a 'make install' via beporter and see what that> >
> does... should've tried that before writing this actually :)> > but either
> way, this is the way I thought things would be done without> > reading any
> manuals :)> >> > I also downloaded gcc 3.4.3 from the bebits site and it all
> [...]
It's simple! Sell your car for just $40 at CarPoint.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fsecure%2Dau%2Eimrworldwide%2Ecom%2Fcgi%2Dbin%2Fa%2Fci%5F450304%2Fet%5F2%2Fcg%5F801459%2Fpi%5F1004813%2Fai%5F859641&_t=762955845&_r=tig_OCT07&_m=EXT