[openbeos] Re: haiku ports

  • From: "scott mc" <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 07:24:01 -0700

I've been zipping the binaries up from /boot, not /boot/home.  So if
you instead unzip them to /boot they will go into the right place
which is /boot/common which is new to Haiku.  It's a departure from
the old BeOS way of using /boot/home/config.  This will allow
multiuser in the future.  If you want to copy the common folder that
was created in home, be careful and do it from the command line as a
tracker copy may wipe out there destination common, see:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/1420
As for gcc, I use the default one that comes with building Haiku with
the development tools enabled which is 2.93.5-haiku-080323
I think the beporter tool isn't actually working yet.  I think it's
written in python which is only partially working for Haiku right now.
 Brecht is working on the beporter tool and I think he's close to
having it work, but he's been on vacation last couple weeks.
There's also the TiltOS project which is mostly just Kaliber, he's
developed the "box" format which works sorta like apt-get on
debian/ubuntu.  It's at tiltos.com.  Hopefully both of these projects
will merge at some point.  He's ported about 100 packages, and we now
have binaries for about 45 or so, with many more that we've ported but
weren't making binaries available yet.  Many of these are the same
between the two projects.  Checkout box and chances are you'll find
he's gotten most of the common things already ported.  I use it on
fresh installs to get libraries back in place to port new things.

If you are just using the pre-built haiku images, you can find the
Haiku gcc and other stuff here:
http://www.haiku-os.org/development
http://haiku-files.org/files/optional-packages/

What kinds of things are you looking to do with Haiku?

If anyone else is interested in joining, check out http://ports.haiku-files.org

-scottmc