[openbeos] Re: haiku on asus eeepc!

  • From: "Karl vom Dorff" <karl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:37:34 -0400

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 5:31 AM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> > >
> > > Indeed, I just tried installing your OSS port, and the chipset gets
> > > detected. Playback works fine! Tried recording with sound recorder,
> > > but
> > > it couldn't connect to the media server, no such file or directory.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the whole "encoding" range of features in the Media
> > Kit are
> > not yet implemented. Even though recording a WAV file doesn't seem
> > like it
> > would need encoding, it does from the point of view of the Media Kit.
>
> I recalled succesfully recording in Haiku with my IXP laptop...
>
> http://revolf.free.fr/beos/shot_haiku_oss_working.003.png
>
> Seems SoundRecorder has its own wav writer.
>
> > new/changed plugins and using those without a restart. When changes
> > need to
> > be done on the servers themselves, they also need to cleanly restart
> > on a
> > running system. Currently, problems in the kernel prevent this (for
> > example, restarting the media server with OSS installed will KDL,
> > that
> > should be a bug in the device manager).
>
> Might be a bug in OSS as well, I spotted a very nasty one recently
> (missing *sizeof(something) on a malloc()). But it's not the one we
> seek for.
>
> > * Write first basic encoders, like WAV.
>
> I suppose one can start from SoundRecorder's :)

There's some strange settings in media preferences for the audio device.
Firstly, there's no option to mute any of the mixers. Secondly, it looks
strange, most of the mixers scroll vertically (instead of horizontally) and
scrolling through them garbles the window. I can hear the microphone working
if I change 'jack-int.mic' to input.

I've included a bunch of screenshots showing ossinfo, the mixer, and an
strace of sound recorder's crash in this archive:

http://www.haikuware.com/downloads/registered/Archive.zip

Should I be setting something up in Cortex first or should I file a bug
report for this?

thx

--
Karl vom Dorff