[openbeos] Re: haiku on asus eeepc!

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:31:55 +0200 CEST

> Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Btw, I recall hearing about working sound with OSS...
> >
> > Indeed, I just tried installing your OSS port, and the chipset gets
> > detected. Playback works fine! Tried recording with sound recorder,
> > but
> > it couldn't connect to the media server, no such file or directory.
>
> Unfortunately, the whole "encoding" range of features in the Media
> Kit are
> not yet implemented. Even though recording a WAV file doesn't seem
> like it
> would need encoding, it does from the point of view of the Media Kit.

I recalled succesfully recording in Haiku with my IXP laptop...

http://revolf.free.fr/beos/shot_haiku_oss_working.003.png

Seems SoundRecorder has its own wav writer.

> new/changed plugins and using those without a restart. When changes
> need to
> be done on the servers themselves, they also need to cleanly restart
> on a
> running system. Currently, problems in the kernel prevent this (for
> example, restarting the media server with OSS installed will KDL,
> that
> should be a bug in the device manager).

Might be a bug in OSS as well, I spotted a very nasty one recently
(missing *sizeof(something) on a malloc()). But it's not the one we
seek for.

> * Write first basic encoders, like WAV.

I suppose one can start from SoundRecorder's :)

François.