[openbeos] Re: haiku on asus eeepc!

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:17:18 +0200

Karl vom Dorff wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 9:18 PM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Btw, I recall hearing about working sound with OSS...
>
> Indeed, I just tried installing your OSS port, and the chipset gets
> detected. Playback works fine! Tried recording with sound recorder, but
> it couldn't connect to the media server, no such file or directory.

Unfortunately, the whole "encoding" range of features in the Media Kit are
not yet implemented. Even though recording a WAV file doesn't seem like it
would need encoding, it does from the point of view of the Media Kit.

The Media Kit consists of the API classes that are at the disposal of the
application developer. Most encoding related functions in these classes are
just stubbed out. The actual backend that implements decoding is also
missing. A design for the plugin API is equally missing. So all this is a
lot of work, but we should get started on that ASAP. What will be really
helpful is when it can be done on Haiku itself. To ease with that, the
media servers need to be made really robust with regards to detecting
new/changed plugins and using those without a restart. When changes need to
be done on the servers themselves, they also need to cleanly restart on a
running system. Currently, problems in the kernel prevent this (for
example, restarting the media server with OSS installed will KDL, that
should be a bug in the device manager).

* Make the media server detect changed plugins reliably
* Design an Encoder and Writer plugin API similar to Decoder and Reader
* Write first basic encoders, like WAV.
* Write more advanced encoders, refine API...
* Once AVI, MP3, XVid and x264 work, get some sleep.

Best regards,
-Stephan