[openbeos] Re: haiku on a dedicated pc

  • From: "Raymond C. Rodgers" <sinful622@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 17:36:06 -0400

Michael Lotz wrote:
Well if you have a flash media and your target machine is USB bootable then the easiest is to just dd the image directly to the raw flash media and boot from that. Every default Haiku image is USB bootable. From there you can use DriveSetup to initialize the target partition and install using the Installer. What you might need is to run the Installer from "/bin", i.e. by using it from the Terminal and first doing a "cd /bin" and then "Installer". That's because our makebootable not being able to resolve itself when run without a real path.

I haven't been able to fully boot from a 128mb flash drive I have. It starts out ok, but always drops into KDL saying it's unable to find the boot drive. I've been getting that with both a build I normally make under Linux in which I enabled the new ATA drivers, as well as with a nightly build (July 29th). I usually test on my notebook (HP Pavillion zd7040us; Pentium 4 2.8 ghz, 512mb RAM, NVidia GeForce video, yadda yadda yadda), and later on my desktop (AMD AthlonX2 4800+, 2gb RAM, NForce 430 chipset, Radeon HD 3850). Neither one has managed to do a complete boot off any build via a flash drive at least. I think I had a really old CD I burned that did boot, but have since misplaced it.

Raymond

P.S. Those damned null modem cables are hiding from me and conspiring with aliens to prevent me from buying a new one... ;-)