[openbeos] Re: haiku not booting, media_addon server crashes on startup,

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 00:22:36 +0200

On 2006-08-06 at 15:21:09 [+0200], Marcus Overhagen
<marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > http://haiku-os.org/experience.php?mode=view_nhf&id=5 .  I reboot, and no
> > dice.  The media_server is running, but the addon server crashes on
> > startup
> > every time.  I try the multi_audio.media_addon from the Build Factory,
> > which
> > has an older version in it too, tried both of them, same result.  So I go
> Which compiler are you using? did you install any add-ons from external
> sources?

> > segment violation occurred
> > __class_type_info::dcast(type_info const &, int, void *, type_info const
> > *,
> > void *) const:
> > dcast__C17__class_type_infoRC9type_infoiPvPC9type_infoT3:
> > +00a9  ec08c9a5:   *      1042bf0f    movsx   0x00000010(%edx), %eax
> > media_addon_server:sc
> >    frame         retaddr
> > fd001510   ec08d208  __dynamic_cast + 0000004c
> > fd001540   ec41a556
> > BPrivate::media::BMediaRosterEx::RegisterNode(BMediaNode *, long, long) +
> >  00000266
>
> This looks like a problem with the C++ compiler, did you use the same one
> for
> the add-on as well as for the rest of haiku?
> It is very strange that a dynamic_cast in BMediaRosterEx::RegisterNode
> can crash.
>
> > If you can offer any help, it would be appreciated, but I'm gone until
> > Tuesday after this.
> This may take longer to fix. Goodbye.

Whatever addon is being built... if it links against both libmedia.so and
libgame.so, it needs to link to libmedia.so first. Just as with
BDirectWindow, libgame.so contains a broken type info for BMediaNode. Ingo
and I ran into this problem a couple days ago, took all day to figure this
out. I didn't understand from the original mail what exactly Kevin tried in
which circumstances to get this crash. Since he can't boot Haiku, I'm
assuming he tries some Haiku components under R5 to get .ogg support? If so,
try the link trick.

Best regards + Hope this helps,
-Stephan