[haiku] Re: haiku Digest V9 #33

  • From: David Weizades <ddewbofh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 17:40:15 +0100

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Nicholas Blachford
<nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: "Dennis d'Entremont" <dennis.dentremont@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 08:30:47 -0500
>
> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Ritrup Biswas <ritrup@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> What is this ?
>>

>> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000995&source=NLT_PM&nlid=8
>>
>> --
>> Ritrup
>>

> It's time for Haiku, Inc to start enforcing it's trademark. That's what it
> is.
>
> No, I think this is exactly *not* the time.
> Given that they'd respond with a lawsuit listing umpteen hundred patents
> Haiku infringes, it would be suicidal.
> ...and before anyone goes looking at patents, consider that knowing about an
> infringement costs 3X more than not knowing about it.  It's best not to look
> at them at all (unless you are filing one).
>
> --
> Nicholas Blachford
> nicholas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.blachford.info
> "Does it give loads of powaa for little wonga and overclock like a mutha?"
> - dizietsma

Uhhm, how is a 2 1/2 year old codename for a computer an infringement
on a name for an OS? Doesn't trademark infringement occur when the
products can be confused? Meaning a hardware platform internally
called Haiku can't be confused with an operating system called Haiku.

Rgds
David