[haiku] Re: geo-location (was: Migration from Basho to Official Localization of Haiku)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:54:51 -0500

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I probably started this aspect of the discussion with a misconception
> about what was being designed. I had gotten the impression that the
> locale/timezone would be chosen for the user and they would have to
> override the guess (which I assumed meant they would have to manually
> go somewhere after installation and locate the option to override).

Well I don't know what everyone else was talking about, but I was
talking about having this process done in the background either when
the installer comes up or when the desktop is launched from the Live
CD. Actually whatever application does this can be run in the
Bootscript before the alert that asks the user to choose the installer
or desktop (so only in Live CD mode.) As long as they have internet
access at that point it can make a reasonable guess of timezone and
country/locale and then just preselect those in the installer (as well
as hopefully having the correct time in the Live CD mode.) Of course
for this we need a new page in the installer with the timezone and
locale selection.

--
Regards,
Ryan