[haiku] Re: gdb and the bt command

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:27:50 +0100

Hi,

On 2009-03-25 at 09:48:40 [+0100], Lelldorin@xxxxxx wrote:
> i have a discussionon BeBits / Beam, there i write about a bug in Beam on
> Haiku. I get answers how to get a better error report using gbd and the
> bt command. But i dont know how to do that. Can anyone explain this to me?

When a program crashes, you can press "Debug" in the error alert. This will
open a Terminal window which runs the debugger program called "gdb". GDB is
"attached" to the crashed process and you can perform analysis of the
crash. You do this by typing various commands at the GDB command prompt.
One such command is "bt" which stands for "back trace". This will print out
the call-chain of functions which were invoked in the crashed program and
then resulted in the crash. This is useful for programmers, because they
can see what exactly led to the crash.

So to sum up:

1) Press "Debug" in the crash error alert. (A Terminal window opens.)
2) Enter the command "bt" at the prompt and hit Enter.
3) If there is a message about pressing "q" to quit or "return to continue"
press Enter (possibly a number of times) until the output is complete and
you are back at the prompt.
4) Select the backtrace output with the mouse and copy'n'paste it somewhere
for the developer of the program to see.

Best regards,
-Stephan