[openbeos] Re: gcc4 version of Haiku?

  • From: Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 11:15:16 -0600

Ingo Weinhold wrote:

On 2006-01-07 at 15:38:24 [+0100], Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"mmadia" <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

just curious if anyone's built gcc4 version of Haiku.
if so, what's the preferred OS/distro to use?

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but since the Haiku
buildtools now include a GCC 4, you shouldn't depend on the OS hosting
the build; it should work everywhere.

Er, I've never tested whether gcc4 builds under BeOS. It may well be that I left out some patches necessary for BeOS. All I can say is that it runs fine under my SuSE Linux 9.2 installation (updated to gcc4 meanwhile). I suppose most other Linux distributions will work, too. Nathan checked something in for FreeBSD; not sure how far he got there. Axel reported problems under YellowDog Linux (PPC), so I wouldn't expect that one to work

I'm still having a bunch of issues on FreeBSD. The toolchain compiles and runs fine, but there are linker problems when I try to build Haiku that I haven't looked into yet.
-Nathan