[openbeos] Re: gcc again

  • From: "Andrew Bachmann" <shatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 11:35:23 -0700 PDT

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2004-10-02 at 09:26:15 [+0200], Matthijs Hollemans wrote:
> > David A. Rogers wrote:
> >
> > > It doesn't seem like
> > > the geekgadgets site exists.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the site seems to be down and has been for a few weeks now.
>
> Yep, the site has been shutdown for good. The Amiga portion is hosted
> somewhere else now, but the BeOS portion is gone.

The site has gone down in the past and come back up.  I didn't see any
story about it's demise.  I presume you did see one.  In any case, I have
downloaded all the beos files from the geekgadgets web site. (836 MB,
2344 files, for both intel and ppc)  I have these files shared on BeShare,
If you search on "i586~*" and "ppc~*" you should be able to browse
them all.  If someone is interested in mirroring the entire archive
someplace, please let me know and I can ftp it to wherever you like.

> Anyway, I would recommend Oliver's gcc 2.95.3.

I heartily agree with this recommendation.  Also if you try the test
version that he has advertised before, please _do give feedback_ if
there are any issues.  Oliver is committed to releasing the best gcc
that he can, but you can't expect him alone to discover every quirk
of the beos platform that affects the port.  (The original sources are
not free of bugs either, some of which he has also graciously
addressed in the past.)

Andrew