[openbeos] Re: drive letter vs. mounten

  • From: "Bruno G. Albuquerque" <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 15:27:53 -0300 (BRT)

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, Michel Clasquin wrote:

> I *think* I understand why. "boot" is a link, in my case to "BeOS",
> that ensures that scripts work on all systems, regardless of what the
> bootable volume is called.

Nope. "/boot" is the real mountpint for the boot partition and the
partition name ("BeOS" in your case) is a link to it.

For partitions other than the boot one, the partition name is the real
mountpoint.

The reason for this is that the boot partition must be found no mather
what its name is.

> How difficult would it be to mount the boot disk but instead of
> dsplaying it on the desktop, showing a link called "boot"? (some kinky
> ideas for icons occur to me ... ) Then the two user interfaces would be
> the same at least as far as the user is concerned.

I don't like it. :P

-Bruno