[openbeos] *don't hurt me* jam'ing to partitions...

  • From: Steven Hoefel <stevenhoefel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:36:50 +1000

Guys, I know this had been spoken about over and over...

I've been trying to get a 'stable' development environment for Haiku for around
a month now... failing miserably.
First it was on my Fujitsu LOOX (Crusoe 533mhz + 112mb RAM) and that failed on
compile under BeOSMAXv3* due to ram limitations.
Second was an install of Gentoo on my P2.4D... the compile failed under linux
and I couldn't work out what the hell was going down... now that I think of it,
it was probably GCC being an incorrect version, etc... I might check that out
again...
Third, I managed to install BeOSMAXv4b1 on the P2.4D, through magical bios
settings and adding an IDE 10g drive since SATA wasn't an option (disk >
160gb)... anyway... compile finished this morning, have a 1gb partition on this
disk for Haiku... attempted:
HAIKU_INSTALL_DIR=/dev/disk/ide/ata/0/slave/0_1 jam haiku_image
...Said that it had written all sorts of stuff to the disk, no errors... but no
luck... the partition still mounted fine and I had the usual 'Trash' folder
(from when I first initialised it when installed BeOSMAX). ... And I hadn't
seemed to have trashed any other partition?

...Anyway, my question is: What is the correct syntax for jam'ing Haiku direct
to a partition on BeOSMAXv4b1. It's the second partition on IDE:0:SLAVE.

Thanks for anyone who attempts to decode my caffeinated text.
Discover the new Windows Vista