[openbeos] Re: donations again

  • From: Shane Moore <Shane.Moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:19:19 +1000

Hello Simon,
  When I made the donation, it was my first time using PayPal for anything.
I think I did receive a "receipt" from paypal to say that the payment had been charged to my credit card. Since I think it was set up to be received by Michael Phipps, I had sort of been expecting some form of email personally from him, or a delegated other person, to say something like "Thankyou Shane for donating". Since I am in Australia, and Haiku is in the US, this kind of personal acknowledgement via email of an international money transaction would have given me the confidence that the transaction had indeed gone to the correct intended recipient, and not to some random other person posing to be "michael phipps". Though, I trust that since I had clicked on a link from Haiku's website that it would probably have been received by the intended recipient. I suppose one of the concerns was to know whether Haiku had any idea where the money would have come from that I donated, i.e. does PayPal tell them that some money was from me? Plus, a simple note of gratitude, even if only a one-liner along the lines of the following, could encourage the donor to feel that their donation was happily received: "Dear XXXX, Thankyou for your donation to the Haiku project. Be assured that it will be used to help forward the project's goals."
  To me, it is just polite to acknowledge a gift when received.

Shane

Simon Porter wrote:
Hi Shane,
I'm not sure its feasible to write to every donor to say thanks personally. Trying to collect information on whether a donor consents to having their name published on the website would also become time consuming.

I still believe more frequent financial reporting should come first before anything else. Regards, Simon