[openbeos] Re: donating

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:41:08 +0200 CEST

Guys,

Karl has done a lot of good. So maybe it didn't work out exactly as
planned, (and you may remember that I was a skeptic - for that I
apologize), but maybe the bounties at least partially inspired the
restarted work on USB and the netstack. At the very least it made
people contribute and I'm sure it made them feel more like part of the
project. I'm hoping that the recent communications breakdown won't have
any lasting effects on how these people feel about having contributed.

I'm certain that Michael does a lot of work that we who are somewhat
peripheral to the project can't appreciate, and I'm grateful that we
have a person who feels strongly enough about the project to take on
the leadership and handle all the necessary paperwork. (ouch) From
personal experience, yes, it seems as though email replies sometimes
can take a little while, and I know also from personal experience that
it's hard to stay patient and trusting when there's money involved.
Next time around I will be more patient, and I won't ask for a t-shirt
in return. ;-)

I will refrain from listing the entire Haiku team, but you guys rock.
We're indebted to you. However, some reactions to Karl did seem rash.
You may have had inside information (or longer memories) that I don't,
which could explain your reactions, but please remember that you are
high-profile representatives of the project, probably more so than
Michael. Also, you probably have more sense of control than we do who
are more peripheral to the project. Try to keep that in mind when
people feel (real or not) that Haiku is more of a black box than a
sunny pool of nicely tempered water.

Anyway, I owe you guys a cold one, or some fermented fish. :))

/Jonas.