[openbeos] distropia (was: unrar & about us)

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:37:11 +0100 CET

Michael Phipps wrote:
> We will put out a base distro. Pretty much what
> builds in CVS/SVN/whatever.
> A bootable CD with our apps. Nothing (much) else.
> Distro makers can/should add other apps, art work,
> sounds, whatever, but keep the base, core distribution intact.

The only reasonable course of action is to take the lead,
and keep the lead.  Presence, perfection, predation.

(I wish I was in a better position, contribution-wise, to speak
my mind on these issues, but nevertheless I believe this is true.)

It would be naive to think that distromakers merely
want to bundle a little this and that, or change some
esthetic aspect of Haiku.

Thinking ahead, what are likely reasons to fork Haiku?
Can those reasons be preempted?
(I'm not looking for a big discussion, just posing a question.)

In any case, I hope the scenario will be more like that of
the BSDs, where low level as well as high level code
flow between the projects.

Consider how Linux has benefitted from polish and a penguin. The
(superior?) FreeBSD collects dust in comparison. Two essentially
identical platforms!

/Jonas Sundström.                     www.kirilla.com