[openbeos] Re: device drivers

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:23:08 -0400

>Axel wrote:
>> Currently writing device drivers is BeOS compatible, so I don't think
>> there is a need to provide a special forum for it (there are already
>> bedevtalk, and a driver programming ML available at BeDrivers.com).
>
>As long as we don't put it off forever as a "3'rd party opportunity".
>(-> "no apps, no drivers")
>
>If it's not on the roadmap it may never get done.

Drivers are a funny thing like this.
Many are being written right now (and many already exist) completely and
totally outside of OBOS.

We certainly don't want to recreate all of that good work. Yet we need to have
a complete and useful set of drivers.
This is another one of those places where there really isn't a great answer. I
will say that we are not putting a lot of effort into drivers, ATM. Kernel work
is getting a higher priority.

This is an area that I think that we will need to pay more attention to,
shortly.