[openbeos] Re: device driver question

  • From: "Bruno van Dooren" <bruno_van_dooren@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 19:37:37 +0200

> Since both, the keyboard and the mouse, are connected via PS/2, and are
> therefore using the PS/2 protocol, BeOS has one driver to rule them
> all. I don't know if you plan to duplicate this, though, it wouldn't be
> needed for compatibility (and if you did, a name like "keyboard_mouse"
> would be preferable :-)).

the kernel driver is one driver that handles both the mouse and keyboard.
it does not implement any protocol handling though. it is just a pipe for
sending
and receiving bytes.
there is an api on top of the driver, and all protocol stuff will be handled
by
the respective input server devices.

i think that that is the cleanest way to do it, and to prevent bugs.
or do you think otherwise?

i think that i best call the driver ps2_keyboard_mouse though.

kind regards,
    Bruno.