[openbeos] Re: cross compiling

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 09:58:02 +0200 (MEST)

En réponse à Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> (or
> > > buying a

> gigs of
> > > room to
> > >
> > > This assumes that you have windows. If you have any unix based
> system
> > > do
> > > this
> > >
> > > dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/dev/hda6
> > >
> > > assuming that
> > >
> > > /dev/hda5 = old beos partition
> > > /dev/hda6 = new beos partition
> > >
> > > Don't do this if you don't know what you are doing!!
> > >
> >Better use the installer... doing this only works when partitions are
> the
> >same size, else copying from 500MB to 3 BG you'll end up loosing 2.5 GB
> of
> >space, and still have a 500 MB filesystem.
> >
> >François.
>
> All these solutions assume one thing: plenty of disk space, and i only
> have
> 2 Gig. so installing windows and another OS is not really an option.
> BeOS R5 just fits, but lacks space to compile ...
> That installer thing is interesting: i will certainly install it on a
> separate partition as soon as i have a new hard drive. (besides: can i
> boot
> BeOS with grub or another boot-loader ?)

Yes, at least with LILO for partitions just add the partition as a DOS one
(make sure you did
makebootable /boot
).
On older version (R4) one could add zbeos like a Linux kernel, but it looks
like it doesn't work in R5 :-(

Btw this topic would be more suited to beusertalk or something.

> So: the question if i can compile from within windows still remains on.
> (so
> what i would like is a set of tools to compile the system with, ports of
>
> the BeOS tools) for example Minix has such a 'tool box' and 'NewOS' on
>
> which we are building ...

Hmm, maybe check for a linux crossgcc running in win ?

> Anyhow: thanks for the advices... it should get me going.
>
> Eike.

François.