[openbeos] Re: cross compiling

  • From: Eike Dehling <e.e.dehling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 03:12:26 +0200

> > If you're willing to play about with repartitioning your hard-disc (or
> buying a
> > small new one) you can install BeOS PE onto partitions by
> >
> > --Burning beos.img (? the 0.5 GB file) as an ISO image on NERO.
> > --Boot off of the CD
> > --Install BeOS off of that onto the virgin partition.
> >
> > Your BeOS system will be the same as before - but with several gigs of
> room to
> > play with. It's almost miraculous when it works.
>
> This assumes that you have windows. If you have any unix based system
> do
> this
>
> dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/dev/hda6
>
> assuming that
>
> /dev/hda5 = old beos partition
> /dev/hda6 = new beos partition
>
> Don't do this if you don't know what you are doing!!

Better use the installer... doing this only works when partitions are the
same size, else copying from 500MB to 3 BG you'll end up loosing 2.5 GB of
space, and still have a 500 MB filesystem.

François.

All these solutions assume one thing: plenty of disk space, and i only have 2 Gig. so installing windows and another OS is not really an option.
BeOS R5 just fits, but lacks space to compile ...
That installer thing is interesting: i will certainly install it on a separate partition as soon as i have a new hard drive. (besides: can i boot BeOS with grub or another boot-loader ?)

So: the question if i can compile from within windows still remains on. (so what i would like is a set of tools to compile the system with, ports of the BeOS tools) for example Minix has such a 'tool box' and 'NewOS' on which we are building ...

Anyhow: thanks for the advices... it should get me going.

Eike.