[openbeos] Re: cp -p

  • From: Fred K Ollinger <follinge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 16:45:45 -0400 (EDT)

You probably know much more about this than me, so these are only
respectful remarks.

> This wouldn't really solve the problem, since most of the attributeless
> folders
> a ) exist already in archives, on peoples harddrives etc
> b ) come from other (non-beos) systems (contained in zip files etc),
> and thus
> will not have the attributes present...

Right, so cp -p must not change things when it goes off obos. Call only
stuff from gnu (or bsd) util.

Can't we add an option in cp so that it checks to see what fs it's coming
from? If it comes from the fs from obos then we use the lib that is used
for dragging things w/ cp. If it comes from the another os, then it uses
lib from unix util? I mean code for the preserve attibutes is done, right?
We just need to link w/ cp.

I suggest forking gnu utils (or bsd). They are done for the most part and
we want to make beos uniq so I say fork 'em. Probably use bsd utils if we
want them to be part of distro (flame suit on, sorry).

One of the best parts of beos is consistency.

I'll be willing to try to implement this. I'm setting up a compile beos
box right now (my old hd died).

Fred