[openbeos] Re: compiler option -nostdinc

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 19:25:34 +0200 CEST

"Leon Timmermans" <openbeos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I think so, too. Furthermore, I see no problem with limiting us to
> > GCC.
> > It's a great compiler and available on almost every platform out
> > there.
> > OTOH being able to use any other compiler available would also be
> > nice,
> > but I don't think it has to be the case.
> I heared that Intel C++ compiler compiled code performs faster, but I
> never
> tested this myself.

It does for certain things - they are plenty of comparisons (well, at
least one) available against the latest gcc.
I just don't think it matters that much - oh, this works 1% faster when
I compile OpenBeOS with the Intel compiler, so what?
For now, we are stuck with gcc 2.95 anyway, so there are some compilers
that produce faster code; nevertheless, that gcc a good choice,
depending on what you want. Personally, I never felt BeOS to be
sluggish, even if it is using this compiler.

Adios...
   Axel.